I really want to go to Egypt and Jordan. I know it is not on my list of places posted on this site but it is on the list I carry in my heart.
This morning, I saw a screaming “deal” on Friendly Planet for Egypt and the Nile.
It is a 10 day trip to Egypt with a cruise of the Nile for $1999 including airfare.
So let’s break this apart. This is the deal:
- Round trip flights from New York (JFK) via EgyptAir, including fuel surcharges and taxes and fees
- Arrival & departure transfers with meeting, assistance and porterage
- All intra-Egypt flights and ground transportation
- 5-star hotel accommodations at the Fairmont Nile City Hotel
- 4 nights aboard a 5-star Nile cruise ship in an outside cabin
- 16 meals: buffet breakfast daily and all meals aboard the cruise
- All shore excursions on Nile Cruise
- Comprehensive touring program including entrance fees
- Professional English-speaking Egyptologist tour director and local guides
The first thing you need to ask yourself is “Do I want to fly on Egypt Air in coach?”
As you may remember, on May 19,2016 EgyptAir flight 840 crashed. We are awaiting a determination as to why this happened; was it terrorism or mechanical failure?
But even if that did not happen, EgyptAir has two problems for me.
- They do not serve alcohol.
- Smoking is allowed.
In theory issue, 1 and 2 should be switched because I really can not breathe if you smoke in an unventilated area. However, one of the best things about international flights is the free alcohol. Knowing these things, I guess the flight is the cheapest part of this deal because very few people in developed countries want to fly for 10 hours and 40 minutes sucking down second-hand smoke.
Did that blow this deal for you?
If you don’t care how you get to your locale this might be a deal for you. Make sure you check the itinerary and make sure you research the boat.